PRIOR TO OFFER OF INTERVIEW, THIS POSITION WILL REQUIRE TESTING, COMPLETION OF A PERSONAL BACKGROUND HISTORY PACKET AND COPIES OF APPLICANT’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENT.
BACKGROUND CHECKS WILL BE PERFORMED.
NATURE OF WORK:
Under close supervision performs security work of routine difficulty in the supervision, transportation, care and welfare of inmates; performs related duties as required or assigned.
Observes, controls and supervises inmate activities; maintains detention records; processes inmate bookings and releases; distributes and collects inmate mail; maintains the safety and physical security of the facility and personnel; physically escorts inmates to outside facilities by vehicle or on foot; supervises visitations; performs physical search of inmates and facility, conducts inventories of detention facility supplies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of:
- Report preparation, basic record and book keeping, inmate classification procedures;
- Human behavior and social, economic and cultural backgrounds;
- Physical search, transportation and restraint procedures;
- Practices and procedures as applied to a detention facility;
- Recording information clearly and completely;
- Analyze situations detect problems and facts;
- Communicate orally and by telephone, with public and employees in a face to face setting;
- Observe or monitor objects, data, and/or behavior to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards;
- Operate a motor vehicle;
- Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time;
- Physically restrain detainees;
- Responding to emergencies or stressful situations calmly, quickly and decisively;
- Work rotating shifts;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and other agencies and the public;
- Follow written and verbal instructions;
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Dispense prescription medications in accordance with Physician=s orders and prescriptions;
Must successfully complete: Probationary period as Detention Officer with Apache County; Complete Basic Detention Officer Academy (240 Hours); NSA Jail Officers course; Facility Training Program (8 weeks), and possess and maintain a valid Arizona drivers license.
Typical Duties: Observes, controls and supervises inmate activities;
maintains detention records, process inmate bookings and releases, distributes and collects inmate mail; maintains the safety and physical security of the facility and personnel; physically escorts inmate to outside facilities by vehicle or on foot; supervises visitation; performs physical search of inmates and facility.
Must have high school diploma/GED
Must be at least 18 years of age
Must have a valid driver’s license
Must pass a background check including NCIC
Will be fingerprinted and submit to a urinalysis
Shift work required
(Positions is in classified service and is FLSA non-exempt)
This position pays $15.72 per hour
ALL POSITIONS MUST HAVE AN APACHE COUNTY EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION FOR CONSIDERATION.
To obtain an application, please click HERE
Please click “Apply for Job” to send a completed application.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org